Thursday, December 16, 2010

Heal your VPN client (Mac)

Today the Cisco VPN client on the Mac cra##%d out on me right in the middle of a VPN connection. When I tried to reconnect it kept on failing with the error:

“A configuration error occurred. Verify your settings”

Several retries later, I was positive it wasn't the VPN server itself that was the problem.

Although I had to leave the error at that for the time-being, come evening when I got back home, I stumbled upon this link. Bottom line, if you ever see this error on OSX, you may want to try to restart the racoon service using something to the effect of:

sudo service com.apple.racoon stop
sudo service com.apple.racoon start

Note that the OSX recommends you to use launchctl instead of service, so that would mean you do this:

sudo launchctl stop com.apple.racoon
sudo launchctl start com.apple.racoon

That did the trick for me. Hope it does for you.

-- Sifar

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I was going nuts after looking through every possible log file and not finding anything.

    Works like a charm now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!

    That worked for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME... this worked for me. Stopping and Starting Racoon service did the wonder :).

    Thanks for the nice tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- HUGE thanks! This has been driving me nuts for months.

    ReplyDelete